Modeling & collisions checking

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
ByB

Modeling & collisions checking

Post by ByB »

Hello,

I am a newbie at 3D librairies,but I am interested in your program.
What I have to do is not creating a game, but using a 3D library for collision detecting purpose.

My project is to be able to determinate if some tools can collide in an industrial fabrication process. For this, I have to create 3D models of the tools (like milling machine for example), then make them move to the place where they are supposed to be for process, and check if there are some possibilities of contact or collisions betwenn the tools when moving and when doing the milling for example.
Displaying the tools in 3D may add some value to my project, but is not the main objective. The main objective is checking the collision risks.

So I'd like to know if BEPU is the adequate software for that, or not. What are the possibilities for 3D modeling (solid volumes ? Meshes ? Others ?), and collision detection ? Is collision detection a dynamic process (to check for collision during the shifting of the tools) ?

Is it possible to use BEPU in a commercial project ? Is there a licence to buy for this or is BEPU completely free ?

I am checking BEPU website for more info, but I am interested in any comentary from BEPU users of developpers.

Thank you.
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Modeling & collisions checking

Post by Norbo »

Thanks for your interest in the engine!

There are a variety of convex entity types (including triangles) which can be combined in dynamic structures (CompoundBody) or static ones. You could simulate movement and collision detection.

However, for commercial purposes, there would be a charge. The normal licensing plan (http://www.bepu-games.com/BEPUphysics/licensing.htm) doesn't apply, but there would be an alternate license (payment per-seat, per year for example).

More importantly, the results of the collision detection system should not be trusted in mission critical, real-life situations. The system is generally quite accurate, but it was developed for games where performance is more important than perfect, unconditional precision.