Detect object through plane

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
Scotty

Detect object through plane

Post by Scotty »

Is it possible to detect when an object passes through an invibile plane? I'm thinking in games where they set up planes that get triggered as the player walks through them. In my case, it's a Kart, but it would be pretty cool to add an invibile plane where the player wouldn't be effected by it in any way, but the invibile collision could triger game events.

Cheers,
Scotty
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Detect object through plane

Post by Norbo »

Currently, entities and DetectorVolumes can trigger events. Entities can be made intangible while still allowing for collision events to occur (using the noResponse collision rule). An entity or detector volume would need to be created where the 'plane' is supposed to be to detect the collisions. However, neither entities nor detector volumes should be infinite, so it would be a large approximation. The entity-based method can provide detectors in any shape supported by entities, while a DetectorVolume can be any closed triangle mesh.

Proper infinite planes will probably be included in a later version as kinematic-only entities, and would have all the same event support as normal entities.
Scotty

Re: Detect object through plane

Post by Scotty »

No, no, that's even better. I just wanted a cube or something placed down so I could tell when you walk through to a certain part of the level. Thanks a bunch :) I'll give it a go this weekend