Movement and Drawing

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
NCreation

Re: Movement and Drawing

Post by NCreation »

I replaced the mesh with a single plane mesh and it did work perfectly.

What I've been doing is exporting my meshes from Blender using the .3ds exporter (current version of both), then I use the Autodesk FBX converter to convert it to a .fbx in ASCII format. Is there something wrong with this method?
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Something somewhere in the pipeline is going wrong, but there's so many places where it could be failing that I can't really pinpoint it. Generally though, using a custom content processor works better than using the initializeData(Model) method in problem cases, though it may not solve this problem. The initializeData method which takes vertex and index lists is very direct and doesn't undergo any internal processing, so it can eliminate some issues.

Importing and exporting between various 3D programs tends to be a pretty big pain in the butt. If you manage to find one path that works, stick with it and hope it doesn't stop working.
NCreation

Post by NCreation »

ok, i went a got myself a copy of 3ds Max 2009. It seems to work fine (im using the panda .x exporter). The box intersects with the plane, except that it seems to hit the plane at about 5 units above the actual mesh. Is this another pipeline problem? Or did I forget to set something?
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Not sure if I understand what happens exactly, could you give me the updated files for a test?
NCreation

Post by NCreation »

Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

The place where the box hits is actually where the mesh is. When I used the BEPUphysicsDemos DisplayModel with your plane.x, it worked as expected. You might have a transform in the model that you aren't applying when drawing. You can see this done in the EntityModel through the transforms array obtained from the Model.

Though with this model you will most likely encounter more scale issues, so it is best to shrink it down a bit.