Best way to make a 3d model with bones have physics?

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
Greg Quinn

Best way to make a 3d model with bones have physics?

Post by Greg Quinn »

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say what a great engine bEPU seems to be and its great to see active forums and support for it.
I've been playing around a little and have a question.

If I have a basic skinned human character model, with the usual bones, what would be the best way to apply physics to it?
I've seen some code where a ragdoll was built up in code, taking primitives and putting joints between them.

How would I do something similar for my 3D model in bEPU? Would I need to break the model up into individual objects, i.e arm/torso/leg etc, and put the joints between them as well?

Sorry a bit clueless on physics so not sure :roll:

Thanks
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Best way to make a 3d model with bones have physics?

Post by Norbo »

Hi!
How would I do something similar for my 3D model in bEPU? Would I need to break the model up into individual objects, i.e arm/torso/leg etc, and put the joints between them as well?
Basically, yes. In a skinning system, animations move animation bones which move vertices around. Similarly, in a ragdoll, the physics entities move the animation bones which move vertices around, so the work comes in creating well-fitting entities and joints.

It's tricky to procedurally generate a (quality) physical skeleton from a bunch of animation bones, so usually, ragdolls are designed to match a character. There's three main ways to make a ragdoll:
-Create one manually in code, like the ragdoll demo.
-Create a specialized custom 'ragdoll designer' tool that lets you position primitives and joints.
-When making the model, add some extra metadata that defines how to build the primitives and joints for a ragdoll and process them in the content pipeline.

If you don't need a really well fitting or functioning skeleton, it's relatively easy to create the entities based on the bone hierarchy and connect them together in a basic way. You might end up with a really thin torso and fat arms that move awkwardly because the procedural generator put in the wrong kind of joints, though :)
Greg Quinn

Re: Best way to make a 3d model with bones have physics?

Post by Greg Quinn »

Ok great stuff Norbo, thanks for the fast reply.
Will let you know what I come up with and how it works.