Capsule... what am i doing wrong

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
Danthekilla

Capsule... what am i doing wrong

Post by Danthekilla »

Hey norbo what the heck have i done wrong?

for some reason my capsule looks like this
I am totally confused by the random spikes on the end of the capsules, is this a bug or am i doing something silly again...

Danthekilla

Re: Capsule... what am i doing wrong

Post by Danthekilla »

Also these are being rendered by the bepu debug drawer.
And the physics matches the random spikes.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

That is caused by the DisplayCapsule misusing some radius/height information. I thought I fixed that in the latest version of the debug drawer though. Are you seeing it in the one on the website right now?

The physics are indeed still normal, so you don't have to worry about that part.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Ahh i thought that the physics were of the spike too, but now i see that its just that the spike is inside of the actual capsule.

I'm using bepu version 0.12.1.0 and BEPUphysicsDrawer version 0.12.1.0 as well.

As far as i can see thats the lastest version?

my capsule has a radius of 0.6 and a height of 2.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

It appears to be working properly using those numbers in the v0.12.1 BEPUphysicsDemos source. It could be that another version of the drawer's out there in .dll form that's outdated, possibly in the ragdoll demo. If desired, you could recompile the BEPUphysicsDrawer .dll from the demos source.

I'll see about finding the outdated .dll tomorrow; it's 4:30 AM here :)
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Cool well thanks for your exellent help.
I recompiled the dll for the 12.1 drawer demo sauce from the website but it didn't seem to fix it.

You should go to sleep :) 4:30 thats as bad as me on some nights... (sometimes i find that i am most productive from 11pm to 4 am)
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

The Ragdoll demo checked out. Have you gotten the strange graphic to appear within the v0.12.1 BEPUphysicsDemos or in the Ragdoll Demo? I've tried some things but it appears to be working. If that's the case, then there's probably a reference in the project that isn't pointing to the right thing.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Yer i tryed the ragdoll demo and it checked out for me too.
the display dll in the ragdoll has some private variables in it that i need public that prevent me from using it.

If i compile the display drawer from the 12.1 demos i get the issue.

I assume that the display source code just hasn't been updated?
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

The RagdollDemo's drawer .dll was created by compiling the v0.12.1 BEPUphysics demo source, so there isn't a more updated version hiding somewhere.

If you actually modify capsules within the BEPUphysicsDemos source and run it do you see the problem? I can't seem to replicate the issue on a fresh download of the v0.12.1 source.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Hmm. if i modify the bepuphysicsdemo from the site it doesn't have that problem.

But if i link my game to that same dll (ive checked quite a few times) it still happens in my game...
I must be missing something or visual studios doing something odd.

Its not really importaint anyway.

Thanks for trying to help me fix it.

oh and the upcoming change list for the cutdown 12.2(13.0?) release looks good with the pathing stuff :)

oh and i assume that the xbox and win phone don't support .net 4.0s thread manager. and also a 10-20% improvement is still quite nice.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

oh and i assume that the xbox and win phone don't support .net 4.0s thread manager.
That's correct; I highly doubt the compact framework will include any of the new parallel stuff. Chances are that I'll make the thread manager as fast as I can get it, and when XNA migrates up to .NET 4.0 officially, BEPUphysics will support the .NET threadpool/TPL as an option on the PC while the xbox continues to use the new custom version.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Yer its sad that it won't get any of that...

But any improvement you can get is much better than nothing.