OBB-OBB or OBB-Capsule: Which is faster?

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
SomeCallMeTim

OBB-OBB or OBB-Capsule: Which is faster?

Post by SomeCallMeTim »

Which is the faster collision code in the Toolbox.areObjectsCollidingMPR method: OBB-OBB or OBB-Capsule?

I'm guessing OBB-Capsule, because Capsule is a simpler shape?
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: OBB-OBB or OBB-Capsule: Which is faster?

Post by Norbo »

The best way to find out would be to test your specific scenario, but they should be comparable. The algorithm doesn't do anything remarkably different for different types of shapes, but some contours can take longer to converge. MPR tends to work pretty well with both traditional polytope style objects and curved surfaces (GJK can take a bit longer to converge on curved surfaces than MPR, I believe).

There's a special case box-box test in there too (areBoxesColliding) which would be another fast option.
SomeCallMeTim

Post by SomeCallMeTim »

Interesting.

One more question:

Is Bepu Physics based on a specific physics text or paper? It is based on some pre-existing code?

I'm just curious because I really like it, and am having good luck with it so far.

Maybe you are not disclosing this information. I would understand that.

Thanks,
Tim
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

The engine isn't based on any single resource; it basically evolved over time with independent work and varied research. I've learned quite a few valuable concepts from resources/information put out there by people like David Baraff, Erwin Coumans, Erin Catto, Gino van den Bergen, Christer Ericson, Gary Snethen, and a bunch of others. If any of them see this, thanks :D
SomeCallMeTim

Post by SomeCallMeTim »

Ok, thanks! I have heard of at least one of those names.

I can tell that a lot of work has been put into Bepu.