XNA 4.0 RTM version ready

Discuss topics related to BEPUphysics or physics engine development.
Norbo
Site Admin

XNA 4.0 RTM version ready

Post by Norbo »

The XNA 4.0 RTM version is now ready! Download it on the main site (www.bepuphysics.com)
Danthekilla

Re: XNA 4.0 RTM version coming soon

Post by Danthekilla »

Sounds great, we upgraded our game to 4.0 RTM but we cannot run it with physics until we get a new version :)

It will be a few days before we will need it however.

Hows all the stuff for v.15 coming along? As good as expected?
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: XNA 4.0 RTM version coming soon

Post by Norbo »

Hows all the stuff for v.15 coming along? As good as expected?
I'm happy with how the design turned out. There's very few interrelationships (just one that I can think of right now) or dependencies between modules, making responsibilities very clear cut. Pretty much everything can be used in isolation or otherwise individually configured.

While working on the design, I also figured out a few new interesting ways to help the robustness and speed of meshes. Once it's fully implemented, it might give an order of magnitude performance boost for mesh collisions compared to v0.14.X and earlier.

I haven't been able to do any actual testing yet, though. Hopefully it will match expectations :P
Danthekilla

Re: XNA 4.0 RTM version ready

Post by Danthekilla »

Sounds great

I love it when things get faster by an order of magnitude :)

By meshes do you mean static triangle meshes or convex hulls made from 3d meshes?

I use heaps of each of them so i'll be very happy eather way.
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: XNA 4.0 RTM version ready

Post by Norbo »

The StaticTriangleGroup/Terrain replacements are the things that stand to benefit most. Those particular improvements have to do with the better threaded triangle mesh management and triangle-entity special cases. There's some other planned mesh improvements too, like support for one sided triangles and better triangle intersection bump removal.

The 'Instanced' mesh should come in handy too for when there's lots of similar geometry repeated. It's integrated a lot better with the broad phase which would give a performance boost beyond just using far less memory.