All I want for Christmas

Discuss topics related to BEPUphysics or physics engine development.
jstroh

All I want for Christmas

Post by jstroh »

is a new Bepu release :O
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: All I want for Christmas

Post by Norbo »

Me too! Maybe Santa Claus will help out?
JHOW

Post by JHOW »

I am willing to help if you need anything.

Concave mesh?
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Thanks for the offer, but right now what would help the most is another 20 to 30 hours in the day :)
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

For anyone curious about the progress on v0.11.0, it's nearing completion. My goal was to get it out by the end of February, which is still possible (but would be significantly easier if February wasn't a runt month). Pieces that aren't fully done will be pushed back in order to get the changes that are ready out in a timely manner.

Right now, it's looking like there's two components that will have to wait until v0.11.1: an angular ellipse swing limit, and the vehicle revision. The vehicle's new core is complete, but it still needs some pieces to make it usable. Of course, any bugs discovered between the release of v0.11.0 and v0.11.1 will also be rolled into it. The total development time for v0.11.1 should be pretty short- ideally, around a week.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Sounds great norbo.

Will you be posting a nice change list when 0.11 goes up?
Nice to hear the the vehicle revision isn't too far away, your doing a great job :)
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Will you be posting a nice change list when 0.11 goes up?
Yep; hopefully I can hit everything, though given the long development it might miss a few smaller changes.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Quick update:

Turns out there was a bit of a nasty bug laying dormant in v0.10.5; fortunately, it seems to be solved by v0.11.0's collision solver rewrite. I'm working on adding in the last few convenience bits and modifying the demos to show the new features. Shouldn't be too long now.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Another update about v0.11.1 and the vehicle:

All of the changes I wanted to get in other than the rest of the vehicle are done. My goal is still to get v0.11.1 out before the end of March (following the version roadmap posted in the other forum), which is still doable since the vehicle shouldn't take too long.

Unfortunately, I just found a likely error with the Xbox360 multithreaded solver. Depending on what it turns out to be, it may take a few minutes, or... a lot longer. I'm really hoping it's not the latter kind of bug.

Edit: It looks to be caused by a subtle difference in the way the Xbox and PC schedule threads, but it's all a bit fuzzy. When asimulation is very small, the parallel solver can sometimes fight itself and produce strange results. Fortunately, for any simulation large enough to warrant using multithreading (i.e. more than about 10 constraints/collision pairs) the problem fades away. So, in the end, it turned out to be closer to the first kind of bug than the second kind of bug :)
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

I don't seem to be getting much better at predicting release dates. It's very unlikely that I'll be able to get v0.11.1 today, but it is getting very close. :wink:
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

Do you use Valve time?
It's simple, just take the hydraulic phase ship emulator and attach it to the photon particle emitter, BAM, new tower!
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Maybe!