BEPUphysics v1.2.0 released!

Discuss topics related to BEPUphysics or physics engine development.
Norbo
Site Admin

BEPUphysics v1.2.0 released!

Post by Norbo »

It is large and full of goodies; grab it on codeplex!

Updated Dependency Free and SlimDX forks will be available soon, along with a new SharpDX fork.
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: BEPUphysics v1.2.0 released!

Post by Norbo »

The updated forks are now available!
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Wow nice update,

I just put out a new version of craftworld out yesterday... The 10 fold speed up in removing items from the dynamic herachy would have complemented the way we do our physics nicely.

I'll update us to 1.2 today.

What's next on the bepu todo list?

I would love to see that blog post you spoke of earlier. Also do you have a windows 7 phone I may be coming into a 3rd one soon and could donate it too you if you don't have one.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

What's next on the bepu todo list?
During the recent performance testing (to be detailed in the blog post), I noticed some interesting things about scaling past 10 threads. The measured results do not fit my previous model, so I can't very easily predict what will come of it (possibly nothing!).

I'd also like to pull some of the dynamic hierarchy's powers into a reusable format for a mutable version of the BoundingBoxTree. Ideally, elements could be added and removed at reasonably high speed without requiring full tree reconstruction. The new StaticGroup was designed with mutability in mind for the future, and a few more other systems might benefit too.

Beyond that, it will mostly be more on-demand stuff. There might be some movement towards a few 'bigger' things if it makes sense to do so given my other projects. In other words, if I had infinite time, I'd like to fiddle with specialized cloth simulation, deformable bodies, fluid/particle simulation, GPU acceleration, and make the fracture simulation public. Most of those are pretty huge time investments though, so we'll have to wait and see what makes sense :)
I would love to see that blog post you spoke of earlier.
I'm working on it now; I should have it up in a couple of hours or tomorrow morning.
Also do you have a windows 7 phone I may be coming into a 3rd one soon and could donate it too you if you don't have one.
I do indeed have one, thanks though :)
Piranha

Post by Piranha »

Hi, I'm new to BEPUphysics.

I plan to use BEPU on OpenTK(OpenGL on C#) with the 'DependencyFree' fork, so I'm happy to hear that it's well-kept too :)

btw. the latest download of the DF fork misses the 'ICollisionRulesOwner.cs' which I had to add manually to the project.

I was really stunned by the demo project. Everything was perfectly smooth even with 1000 active objects. Great job! :D
(The BulletSharp demo totally fails at a 10x10x10 cube of blocks :mrgreen: )
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

btw. the latest download of the DF fork misses the 'ICollisionRulesOwner.cs' which I had to add manually to the project.
B'doh! Thanks for the report, I'll get that fixed as soon as codeplex wakes up.
I was really stunned by the demo project. Everything was perfectly smooth even with 1000 active objects. Great job!
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Piranha

Post by Piranha »

Hi again,

The last three days is ported the DependencyFree fork to OpenTK compatible types, so there is now an OpenGL compatible version of BEPU.
Since OpenTK supports double precision (which is the reason why I changed from XNA to OpenTK btw.) I made another fork that is a fully double precision BEPUphysics.
This is very interesting for those who are about to make a game with planet scale dimensions :)

Atm. I cant test the whole engine working. So the forks are experimental only.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Very nice! Thanks for the contributions :)
Garold

Post by Garold »

Your dedication and skill is inspiring. Thank you.
BEPUphysics rules my world
http://cloneofduty.com
diabloqfdb

Post by diabloqfdb »

Wow, excellent news! The change list looks great! Thank you for your hard work!

I am still using BEPU with great success, even when physics gets wonky. Been meaning to ask a few questions for a while, but I'll search the forum first.

I'll update to 1.2 soon!

But let me squeeze in a a question here: is there information about the various forks and why they are needed and what differences there are between them and the mainline?
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

You're over 4 months late mister!

Where have you been young man!
It's simple, just take the hydraulic phase ship emulator and attach it to the photon particle emitter, BAM, new tower!
diabloqfdb

Post by diabloqfdb »

Indeed, I misread the date. Classic dead thread forum syndrome.

I got all excited about a new version too! Still, the change log for 1.2 looks great and I'm glad I am already running with the changes.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

is there information about the various forks and why they are needed and what differences there are between them and the mainline?
The following are forks managed by me:
Development: Includes the very latest changes. So, right now, it could be considered 'v1.3 alpha.' Sometimes there might be a bug fix in this version that doesn't exist in the main version, and sometimes there will be whole new barely-tested features. It is usually pretty stable, but I don't guarantee it :)
DependencyFree: Same version feature-wise as the main (non-development) source, but uses its own math library instead of XNA. This makes it more easily portable to other platforms.
SharpDX: Replaces XNA math with SharpDX math. Easier to use with SharpDX. Same version feature-wise as the main (non-development) source.
SlimDX: Replaces XNA math with SlimDX math. Easier to use with SlimDX. Same version feature-wise as the main (non-development) source.

Once I feel a version is complete (i.e. the Development fork gets solidified, tested, and prepared), I push it to the main fork and then update the DependencyFree, SharpDX, and SlimDX forks to match. Then, I start to fiddle with the Development fork again.
Danthekilla

Post by Danthekilla »

Hey norbo just out of curiosity what version of bepu should I use when porting my games to monogame?

Also I am currently moving many of my games to windows 8 metro which does not have the "Thread" class, what should I do to bepu to get it working with the new windows 8 threading model. Have you looked into that at all?

Also do you have an xna dev account? I have my game in review (which uses bepu) and its last patch has been in review for 2 weeks and still not gone up...