Game using Bepu: T-17 Tanky

Discuss topics related to BEPUphysics or physics engine development.
preen

Game using Bepu: T-17 Tanky

Post by preen »

http://closedchamber.com/

T-17 Tanky is a relaxed-realism armored vehicle simulator for PC.

It's in an early stage, but I've released a demo featuring a quick battle creator. You can drive the powerful T-17 tank, as well as other vehicles, friendly and enemy.
Demo: http://closedchamber.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5

I hope to put together some levels and content within a month and make my first commercial release of a game. Hooray! 8)
I would much appreciate any impressions of the demo, as not many have tried it but me.

I could not make it without Bepu. It is essential for everything from vehicle physics to AI.
Fe_Yoshi

Re: Game using Bepu: T-17 Tanky

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

No suitable graphics card found.

Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the XNA Framework HiDef profile.

Verify that a suitable graphics device is installed.

Make sure the desktop is not locked, and that no other application is running in full screen mode.

Avoid running under Remote Desktop or as a Windows service.

Check the display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to Full.
It's simple, just take the hydraulic phase ship emulator and attach it to the photon particle emitter, BAM, new tower!
preen

Post by preen »

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Which video card is that?
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

GeForce 7950 since my GTX 460 is broken at the moment.
It's simple, just take the hydraulic phase ship emulator and attach it to the photon particle emitter, BAM, new tower!
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Very nice! I got it to run, and was promptly/repeatedly destroyed.

My FPS was locked at 7.5 though, which is a bit odd. The CPU wasn't pinging at all (hovering between 20-40%). I've got a Q6600 and a 8800 GTS 512.
preen

Post by preen »

It sucks that such a recent video card can't run it. I would use the Reach profile if I could get 16bit index buffers to work with the terrain, but I'm just a script kiddie.

The FPS being 7.5 is amazing, though. The timer should clamp it to 30 even it it's running slower than that, and this is a really light game. Was it really choppy? Thanks for trying it.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

It was fixed at 7.5 fps regardless of what was going on; I tried pummeling it with both debug displays on at once and it stayed at 7.5. Even when the game is just showing the logos at the start (thanks for showing the logo, by the way :)), it's still at 7.5. There was no frame dropping or inconsistency in the frame rate, so that's good at least :)
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Some additional/more accurate info:
-The frame rate is ~10 in both windowed and fullscreen mode, and is the same at 640x480 and 1680x1050. When it's in windowed mode and doesn't have focus, the FPS actually jumps to ~50.
preen

Post by preen »

So it appears to run properly when it doesn't have focus? The sound engine and input handler don't operate when out of focus. Maybe exceptions in those parts cause the slowdown.
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

Why is game called T-17 Tanky.
preen

Post by preen »

You drive the T-17 Tanky. Tanky is Russian for tank, and the name fits with the cartoony style of the game.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

So it appears to run properly when it doesn't have focus?
For the most part, yes. I just did the out-of-focus test while in a match; the FPS jumps from ~7.5 to ~23. The camera also appears to stop following the tank while out of focus, though that's probably not directly related to the slowdowns :)
preen

Post by preen »

I can't replicate it, but I'll spend tomorrow refactoring and taking out try-catch blocks (it's overdue for that, anyway). Thanks for the help. Also, what peripherals, if any, do you have plugged in?
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Also, what peripherals, if any, do you have plugged in?
Just a keyboard and mouse.
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

Norbo what madness is this, you don't such luxuries!

Just STARE AT THE MONITOR until it does what you want out of FEAR!