Hi-Def

Post and discuss features you'd like to see in the BEPUphysics library.
Duffy86

Hi-Def

Post by Duffy86 »

just a small suggestion, some of us users have machines that aren't capable of Hi-Def, could you build the demo under Reach profile please =]

i'm guessing you don't use multiple render targets and Shader model 3 just to show off the physics engine. thank you kindly =]

Duffy
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Hi-Def

Post by Norbo »

SM3 is used to support some faster rendering techniques which are valuable when thousands of objects are in play :)

There is a brute-force SM2 fallback however. It should be automatically used when a non-HiDef device is detected. Unfortunately, I don't have a Reach only device to test out exactly how it handles it nowadays. I believe I tested it successfully once upon a time, but things have changed a lot since then.

Any additional information about the failure might be useful since I can't test it myself right now.
Duffy86

Post by Duffy86 »

It's ok, I downloaded the latest source and can see that the demo is bundled with it, I'll compile under reach myself and see if your fallbacks do indeed work as predicted. Thankyou for the response. I'll keep you posted should I run into any difficulties.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this physics engine can do, the video's are impressive =]

Duffy
Duffy86

Post by Duffy86 »

Spent a few hours playing with the demo's, found the Brute Force fall back to be pretty crippling (especially on the broadphase stress test) so Imodified the original BEPUphisicsDrawer project.

It is designed to be dropped in as a replacement and is only for use if Reach is the only available profile to be used.

changes needed in the Demo Project
Instanced rendering is enabled (reverting to bruteforce will crash the app)
the supplied .fx file is in the content project.
the original .fx file is removed from the content project.

The demos that use terrain and fluid will crash as reach has an UInt16.max cap on primitives per draw call. (will be working on this tonight =])

Thought I'd put this up should anybody else with a Reach-Only graphics card find it usefull.
Attachments
BEPUphysicsDrawerReach.rar
BEPUphysicsDrawerReach
(51.47 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
Fe_Yoshi

Post by Fe_Yoshi »

Brute-force not working just means you didn't use enough brute-force.
It's simple, just take the hydraulic phase ship emulator and attach it to the photon particle emitter, BAM, new tower!
Duffy86

Post by Duffy86 »

Fe_Yoshi wrote:Brute-force not working just means you didn't use enough brute-force.
LOL :D
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

Looking good- if I get some time I'll try to toss a version into the development fork.
Duffy86

Post by Duffy86 »

glad I could be of help, I took some liberties, for instance using the instancing buffer to store the colour index, and then reading it from a single texture, this removed the need for branching in the shader and saved on constants so the number of objects per batch is on par with the original.

I'm currently looking at changing how the terrain is rendered, triangle strips are better suited, especially with the Reach limit on primitive draws.