elasticity

Post and discuss features you'd like to see in the BEPUphysics library.
Phippu

elasticity

Post by Phippu »

I don't know if it isn't implemented already and actualy I also don't need this feature, but how about elasticity for the worldtransformation? As we draw our objects usualy by taking the world transformation bepu could easily simulate scaling and shearing of an elastic material if it get's hit by another object. Would that be possible?
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: elasticity

Post by Norbo »

True physical shearing and deformation is not something that can be represented by a single simple matrix. Typically, it's simulated by considering the solid to be a bunch of pieces. The simulated deformation of the pieces are a good approximation for a continuous deformation. In addition, while I have made prototypes for such a system, their performance just isn't high enough to really pursue for CPU-side game physics once all the other things in a game are taken into account.

A simplified and fully faked graphical deformation could be applied externally. The collision geometry of a shape would not change in such a situation. Basically, you could check for the impact locations and strengths and add in an appropriate-looking scaling/shearing component. That component would change with time to simulate springy materials or whatever else. It's not at all physically correct, but it might be 'good enough' :)