What's in the next version?

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
jstroh

What's in the next version?

Post by jstroh »

Had any time to work on this sexy lib?
Zukarakox
Not a Site Admin

Re: What's in the next version?

Post by Zukarakox »

From what I hear, a completely new collision algorithms or whatever they are called -- should be extremely faster and way less jumpy + a bunch of other crap -- should be done within the month.
i has multiple toes
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

I wouldn't count on that 'within the month' part. v0.6.0, like v0.5.0, has sort of inflated into something bigger than originally anticipated.

The new collision system Zukarakox mentions is a complete rewrite of collision detection; the end result should be faster and more accurate. Things should no longer 'pop' out of each other during interpenetration, and objects won't be integrated into penetration to begin with (if you choose to use CCD anyway). There will be three continuous collision detection options- none, linear velocity only, or linear and angular.

So far I've got most of the framework done on this new system, I'm just working out some contact generation issues. This new setup is the single largest thing in the next version, and it should produce a significant improvement in the overall 'feel' of the engine.

The rest of the highlights on the to-do list include, but are not limited to (keep in mind these things may change or get pushed to the next version (again)):
-Constraint/Joint improvements and additions
-Built-in events so you don't have to monitor controller contact counts and such
-General collision speedups
-Another broadphase option (sort and sweep)
-'Wrapped' objects, as if a pair of objects had a skin stretched over their exteriors
-A sort of 'multiverse' so that floating point calculations are still accurate 100,000 units away from the origin, along with other implications
-Kinematic character controller in the demos

It's still technically possible that I could smash through all the problems and get it done by the end of this month, but I'd probably bet on sometime in July.
jstroh

Post by jstroh »

omg I can't wait for July.

Do you see any issues with running this in another thread?

I'm guessing it will be necessary to have it in another thread on the 360.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

I can't think of any outstanding or unusual problems off the top of my head; I think someone has already done something similar before. The only issue would be keeping the timestep the same. Depending on your simulation, you might still have some significant slowdowns on the xbox360 which I aim to address completely in v1.0.0 with internal threading.