Liquid Thoughts

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
jstroh

Liquid Thoughts

Post by jstroh »

What if you made a type that is a heightmap grid which essentialy has 2D liquid physics acting on this essentially 2D grid?

Something like that with some mixed in 3rd dimension movement could work quite well no?

I'm really interested in rendering water that when the character walks through it, it parts around the legs/body etc and possibly around objects, dead people, etc. I thought maybe a grid would be a decent way to go about this.

Maybe? :P
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Liquid Thoughts

Post by Norbo »

I almost decided to implement heightfield based water in v0.5.0, but decided to delay it for time reasons. This would give the effect of wakes and interaction (boxes would bob up and down as waves passed through, and the boxes would generate waves themselves). It is certainly feasible, and I have it on my "future sheet" of wanted features, but I don't have it nailed to any specific version. Might be in v0.6.0, depends on if I feel that it would cause an undue delay in the release.

Performance wise, it's not extremely cheap to simulate (though you could tone down the detail of the simulation to gain a bit back). Obviously, it's quite a bit easier on the CPU than full particle based fluids :D
jstroh

Re: Liquid Thoughts

Post by jstroh »

Awesome, yeah I mentioned it because particle based is just not going to happen lol.