Si an fps movement is possible with bepu ?

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
sueds

Si an fps movement is possible with bepu ?

Post by sueds »

I haven't look at your code or your APi but I'm really desperate to find a solution which is provide some basic collision detection for everything. So my question is can I use bepu in order to make a simple walkthrough and have a wall detection with a model made with an other tool ( like maya ) ? The problem with regular xna solution is you cannot detect where the collision occure and its a shame we cannot use the ray freely so I was hoping maybe it would be possible with your tool.

anyway I tried your demo and they are running pretty fast even in my Laptop.

where can I find some documentation about how I have to bound bepu to my project.

cheers
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Si an fps movement is possible with bepu ?

Post by Norbo »

It is indeed possible to do what you want in the engine, but there are two feature gaps that still need to be addressed to make it easy. There is currently no automatic way to generate collision data from a model, so you would likely need to create a simpler entity or combination of entities representing the model approximately. If your model is simply representing a player character, usually a simple capsule or box will suffice. For complicated world geometry, it will take a little while to create (no direct tool support as of yet).

The second issue will be the character controller. If you need advanced movement capabilities such as jumping against physically simulated objects and other interactions, it will be a fair bit of work (simple move-around-and-bump-into-stuff character controllers are relatively easy, though). I will be adding in explicit support for character controllers in v0.5.0, but that is likely a month away as v0.4.0 is releasing today.

Basically, it's not as easy as it could be right now, but it's still possible. There is some documentation on the webpage ( http://bepu-games.com/BEPUphysics/documentation.htm ), and the demos source provide techniques for setting up simulations. And as always, these forums are available for any questions you may have.
sueds

Post by sueds »

So I cannot use bepu for my needs. But do you know how bullets collision detection works ?

I have some idea to make it work maybe it helps you ( I'm not so experimented). I'm trying to make a sort of mesh intersect method using bounding sphere and vertex data. But I'm not sure if it would work.

thanks anyway
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

I am familiar with Bullet in terms of concepts (I haven't used it, though). If I'm not mistaken, the way you'd implement a mesh in BEPUphysics is similar to Bullet- I believe the preferred method for a static mesh would be a bounding volume hierarchy triangle mesh, btBvhTriangleMesh. In BEPUphysics, StaticGroups are slightly less specialized but also usable for storing a large number of triangles with good performance. Once the data's in there, the engine can handle it.

The only real difficulty is importing the data. Is there another issue that you're concerned with, or is that the primary problem? I plan out additions and features in large part by demand, so any requests you might have will help.

Thanks.
sueds

Post by sueds »

My main problem is the static detection with radom mesh. I'm planning to do a fps and a small kart game and in both I need some kind of collision detection with random shape ( mainly the level ). even a simpe detection I mean like the character cannot go there because there is a wall would be enough. What do you call bounding volume hierarchy triangle mesh, btBvhTriangleMesh ? I'm not very familiar with those terms. Its a simple pyramid ?

Have you look at the sample with triangle accuracy , on http://creators.xna.com/Education/Samples.aspx? It provide a custom content pipeline processor attaches vertex position information to the model. Maybe it could be usefull.

it will be great if you could managed some kind of solution for this.
When I was looking some way to achieve it I saw so many post of people in same trouble. I'm not the only one with problem.

there is no big feature excepts this one mising in your physics library.

thanks and keep going.
Norbo
Site Admin

Post by Norbo »

I'll see what I can do to make importing easier, and maybe add another specialized form of the StaticGroup for large numbers of triangles which would generate them during runtime based on vertex data (similar to heightmaps). Combining the two would make a model-based collision quite a bit easier.

btBvhTriangleMesh, I believe, functions similarly and provides a fast method for storing large numbers of triangles. I apologize to Erwin if I'm getting this all wrong :D