Bepu vs Bulletsharp

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
b1fg2

Bepu vs Bulletsharp

Post by b1fg2 »

I have a question. how does bepu vs bulletsharp on performance ?
which one should i go, is anyone test before?

http://andrestraks.github.io/BulletSharp/
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Bepu vs Bulletsharp

Post by Norbo »

I have never done rigorous benchmarking against other engines, so I would definitely encourage you to run your own tests that represent your use case.

That said, I believe bullet and bepuphysics v1 are fairly similar, at least on some processors. Bepuphysics v2, though, is much faster than v1 on any runtime that supports the Numerics intrinsics. Depending on the simulation and hardware involved, v2 can sometimes beat GPU simulators with equal cost hardware.

Two important notes about v2:
1) v2 isn't completely done yet. Both v1 and bullet are going to have a bunch of stuff that v2 doesn't, and v2 might not get a few things for a long time (if ever). If you consider v2, definitely check to see if what you need is there (or if it's going to be there soon).
2) If you're targeting a runtime that doesn't support the numerics intrinsics, v2's performance is going to suck. Critically, Unity's runtime did not support them last I checked several months ago. They're doing a lot of work in related areas so I'm not sure what the current or future status is.