Grappling Hooks!

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
mcmonkey

Grappling Hooks!

Post by mcmonkey »

This is going to be a strange post, but...

I'm playing around with grappling hooks in a game using BEPUPhysics, and was wondering about the best ways to accomplish it... here's my current set up:

First, trace where the hook hits using a Convex/Ray Cast.
Second, spawn two entities:
--> Both are nonsolid
--> one is at the player's position, the second is at the impact location
Third, Add a BallSocket (free rotation) joint at the second new entity's location, between the new entity and the entity traced into (The wall / roof / whatever)
Third part two, Add a second BallSocket joint at the first new entity's location, between the player and the new entity
Fourth, Add a distance limit between the two new entities -> max = the distance between the entities, min = that distance minus 0.01
Fifth, Add a point-on-line joint between the two new entities -> attaching the center of each entity to the line between them

problem of note: the player rapidly bobs up and down because the distance limit joint is very much the opposite of rigid - it's bouncy as hell, even with

Code: Select all

dl.Bounciness = 0.001f;
            dl.MaxCorrectiveVelocity = 0.5f;
and I don't know what settings will work best here.

Next: if the player presses the RETRACT (go up) button:
First, Reduce the distance limit's length by the current Delta amount
Second, find the normalized direction vector between the player and holding entity... apply a small force to both of them, pushing them towards each other.

Lastly, if the player presses the EXTEND (go down) button:
First, increase the distance limit's length by the current Delta amount
Second, find the normalized direction vector between the player and the holding entity apply a small force to both of them, pushing them away from each other.

Problem of note with the above two: If the grappled entity has a positive mass (is dynamic / not kinematic), the force pulling/pushing it can be way too much and cause weird bugs (Flying entities!) or way too little and cause the push/pull to not sufficiently move the entity, and must wait several seconds for the constraint to force the two entities closer or farther.

So... how can I improve this? If this sounds terrible, how would you do it instead?

here's what that looks like in 2D:
here's what it looks like in first-person 3D:
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Grappling Hooks!

Post by Norbo »

A few things:
1) Typically, grappling hooks are just a single DistanceLimit. There's no need for other extra entities, ball socket joints, or point on line joints.
2) Extra forces to close the gap aren't required to shrink the gap; just change the maximum distance and the constraint will do the work.
3) The default bounciness is 0, and I recommend leaving it there. Also, I would recommend leaving MaxCorrectiveVelocity at the default.
4) Grappling hook implementations will usually pick a near-zero minimum distance, so that it behaves like a rope without rope collisions rather than a bar that prevents the character from coming closer.

I suspect the horrible behavior you saw had something to do with bad mass ratios, and possibly some other configuration issues given the amount of extra complexity involved. Pretty much all of that should just go away with this simpler setup.