Quicksand (megaman style)

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
dynamoman

Quicksand (megaman style)

Post by dynamoman »

Hello Norbo, we are working on a megaman level that we plan will use the quicksands mechanics of Megaman 4 but I'm not sure how to do it(Pharaoh man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3oTgir1a4)

We are using character controllers for the players, and what the quicksand does, is that the sand slowly make the players move down, but they are considered to be on ground, so they can jump and move when they are moving down, when they jump they land on the starting pos of the quicksand, and then they slowly start to move down again. I'm not sure if fluids could work for this, or if you have a better idea of how to accomplish it we would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Quicksand (megaman style)

Post by Norbo »

One option would be to create a platform representing the quicksand. When the character stands on it, the platform lowers. When the character jumps off of it or on other appropriate conditions, the platform rises back to its initial position. If there are multiple characters in the same area, each character could have their own version of the platform. The platforms would only collide with the player they are associated with (using collision rules) so different players can be at different levels of sinking.

Another option would be specify a something like a FluidVolume for the quicksand (though a fluid volume might require some changes to produce the desired behavior), and modify the CharacterController's SupportFinder to consider it a support.

The first option doesn't require any physics-side code changes, so it's probably easier overall.
dynamoman

Re: Quicksand (megaman style)

Post by dynamoman »

Thanks a lot, I'll try the double platform thing then.