Static mesh triangulation ?

Discuss any questions about BEPUphysics or problems encountered.
csensivas

Static mesh triangulation ?

Post by csensivas »

Hello Norbo!

As I am importing my FBX to my Sunburn editor, everything is displayed fine. But as soon as I convert my track to a static mesh, and wireframely debug draw it, some vertices seem to out of control .. but mesh draws fine.. I think that also affects the physics collisions.. Please have a look:

I have told my artist to triangulate the mesh in Maya and that didnt help.. What could be the reason ? Anything I should know about the mesh structure for a static mesh ?

PS Edit: Strangely enough, if I just use the stripped down version of BEPU in Sunburn the mesh structure seems to be drawn correct with the physics debug render manager:

Best rgds,

CS
Norbo
Site Admin

Re: Static mesh triangulation ?

Post by Norbo »

The BEPUphysicsDrawer is built for Reach and can't handle huge meshes. If there's too many triangles in a single object, it'll explode like you see. Another common place to see this is large terrains drawn with the BEPUphysicsDrawer.

This is purely a graphical effect. It is unrelated to the actual physics. You could modify the drawer for HiDef if you wanted.

That mesh might be a little heavy on the triangles, too- it will probably be fine, but if you have performance issues with collision detection later, it would be a good thing to at least investigate. Using a simpler model for the physics often has both performance and robustness benefits.